Monday, January 09, 2006

weekend of numbnuts

Last weekend must have been a week full of numb nuts.
Saturday morning itself was already a let down. Woke up to a rainy morning and that is already enough to spoil my cycling plans. Then when I read the morning papers, I saw this story of this first numb nut. http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/1/7/nation/13051018&sec=nation . Fast forward to Sunday morning and saw this other story on this other numb nut http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/1/8/nation/13059112&sec=nation. And like wiping your ass after some quality time on the throne, this came out in today’s papers http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/1/9/nation/13062120&sec=nation.

My point is, isn’t this defeating the purpose? To my understanding, the reason the contest was organize if for the readers to win some money. I have no issue with that, I mean there is no wrong in a little contest. News papers are supposed to be bought to be read. It is what the name imply NEWS paper. So why do people need to buy 200 copies of it? Are they going to be reading the news 200 times? Even if so, can’t this numb nut read the same paper? And the shameful thing is the Star is cashing in on that. Might as well rename the newspaper to Contestpaper.
So, if morons are morons and wanna be morons, why should I bother? Main reason is Wastage. Imaging buying a 50plus page stack of printed paper just for that single page of contest form.
That is wastage, but the thing that strike me most is the lame reason that people give. If it is a spade call it a spade, and if it is an a** then call it an a**.
Exhibit 1: The joker in this one http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/1/7/nation/13051018&sec=nation quoted “I've made several attempts on the weekly contests but still have no luck. I guess Malaysians are the same, a bit kiasu when it comes to things like this. To me, buying numerous copies is a sort of investment and still a lot better than gambling,” . My first point is, if you are a moron, don’t assume that everyone is a moron, just like if you are a kiasu, don’t expect everyone is kiasu. Please!
But to me the crowning glory of the numb nutness of that comment is that he view this as an investment and that it is better than gambling. Duh! Riddle me this, what kind of an investment it is to buy a commodity that you know for sure will lose it’s value but the next day? Buying poop to make fertilizers makes more sense than this. I am really interested to look at this guy’s portfolio so that I know what stocks to stay clear of. Come on lah. It is clear as day and night that this is gambling. If you are doing it then at least find the nuts to admit it.

The scary thing is this is not one discrete case. The Sunday and Monday’s article is no different. Another 200 copies and numerous people with multiple copies.

I do really hope that the Star do something about this in the future. We already have enough kiasu, don’t encourage them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home